Samurai’s and Olympian’s know this to be absolute truth!
What is the CORE element to success overall, in all walks of life, across all industries and time?
Self-discipline is doing what you know you should do, when you don’t feel like doing it and doing it over a longer period of time!
Yes, I know you do not want to hear this and you probably have images of an army drill sergeant beating down on you or your parents when you were a child telling you this, etc. But unfortunately it is true.
Habits, poor habits (which are simply UNDISCIPLINED acts), are why our health, our self –esteem, our wealth and our relationships go downhill because of the little things we let ourselves off the hook on. You know it to be true, you just are not aware of it OR you do not want to admit it as you probably don’t feel confident to change it. Whichever, it is time to face the facts and make the change, be the difference.
I love when Dr Wayne Dyer says you cannot quit any addictions like smoking or alcoholism in 1 day. YES, you can make the decision to quit, but you never truly heal yourself or grow until you refrain from having the substance over a longer period of time and do not feel the need to ingest it again. This can ONLY be done, by saying NO in that moment, and when the next pang or craving happens, saying NO again. The habit of saying no is an example of self discipline, that needs to be done over and over again!
What is an equivalent task in your business and life right now?
- Making the sales calls daily as you need to?
- Exercising for 30 min each day as you need to?
- Following up current clients weekly to see how you can service them better?
- Eating 5 vegetables and 2 pieces of fruit a day as you need to?
- Writing 1-3 systems a week as you need to?
Problem Mindset: I hate setting goals or targets as it never works for me
Solution Strategy: Focusing on developing self-discipline will solve 95% of my challenges
Why can’t we do it – the self discipline thing? Here are some of the reasons I have had clients tell me over the years and some of my own rubbish reasons to myself;
- I was not born that way
- It’s too hard
- I do it in this and not in that
- I am too lazy
- She’ll be right, it won’t happen to me
- It’s rubbish, I just need to be in-flow
I read a lot of autobiography’s of successful people in all walks of life over many generations, and it staggers me that self-discipline seems to be the commonality between all these successful people. It is all about “DOING THE LITTLE THINGS EVERY SINGLE DAY!” – that’s it!!!!
Here are some things you could do as a business owner right now to support your self-discipline to grow and prosper in your life;
- Arrive and leave work at the same time each day NO matter what
- Decide 2 times you will check your emails a day (and only for 30 min each) and stick to it
- Update your cashflows every week against your bank account – you do it personally
- Thank 3 people in your business (/life if you have no to little team) personally with a 2 paragraph email of why you are grateful for them in your life
- Make your bed everyday before you have breakfast
- Exercise for 30-45 min every day BEFORE you have breakfast
- Clean your car weekly– inside and out as if you were going to sell it tomorrow
- Read 10 pages of an inspiring book DAILY
What could your life look like if you developed your own personal self-discipline by 10-20% in 2012?
What would it take? Would it be worth it?
C’mon, try it for 1 day and if you feel better inside, try it another day and see if you can get up to 7 days in a row. Yes, and then beyond …
Have an amazing week
Leave a Reply
Life as a business owner with a younger family, CAN BE HARD and we go through so many issues and face many internal demons daily. Let’s talk about these, bring solutions and collaborate, to solve the challenges and achieve what we want in life - peace, happiness and satisfaction, WHILE we grow our business!
Most Popular Blogs
Gain access to our FREE Audio's & Reports